Tuesday, October 9, 2012

What is this blog about?

The internet is full to the brim with blogs these days, and the birth of yet another is of little note. With so many blogs to follow, it is important that readers know up front what blogs are worth their time and which ones to ignore. Therefore, I think it best for my first post to explain what my blog will be about, my reasons for creating it, and a bit about myself.

Most simply stated, by blog will be about history. It will concentrate mainly on American and British military history, and in particular that of World War I. I am interested in many areas of military history, however my current PhD research project is centred around that war. Other areas of interest that I may explore here include the 18th century (joint army-navy landings is my particular specialty in that century), the American Civil War, World War II, and the more recent wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The purpose of this blog will be to share information that I glean from my research to a larger audience, hopefully both those with an academic interest and those of the public with a general interest. I hope that people will find my posts and the stories they tell interesting and relevant, if not, then what is the point?


Leading my scout platoon on patrol, summer 2007, Iraq.

My background will surely influence my posts, as it does for all authors. I was raised in the state of Kansas in the USA, attending the University of Kansas where I received a bachelor's degree in History (Military and Diplomatic). Having also completed the Army ROTC course during this time, I was commissioned as a officer in the Army the day after my university graduation. I went on to serve as a cavalry officer and a paratrooper in the 82nd Airborne Division, serving in the front-lines in Iraq, as well as on division staff in Afghanistan. Following my time in the Army, I completed a MA in History at the University of Exeter (UK), and am now beginning a PhD in English at the University of Exeter via a collaborative project in which I am responsible for cataloguing the recently acquired papers of FW Harvey (British war-poet, decorated soldier, prisoner of war, philathropist, lawyer, and often dubbed 'The Poet Laureate of Gloucestershire') at the Gloucestershire Archives while concurrently completing a traditional PhD dissertation regarding those papers.

I am always open to others' constructive comments and criticism, and hope that my posts may be of some use.

Finally, I ask forgiveness in advance for my occasional blend of American and British spellings and grammar. Please don't take my usages as a partiality for one or the other. (But to set the record straight, I do prefer coffee to tea, though I'll never complain about being offered either!)

2 comments:

  1. This is great Grant! Can't wait to see what you post in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed this very much.
    Looking forward to more.

    ReplyDelete